Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Peppermint Geranium

When shopping for plants this spring I came across this peppermint stripe geranium and think it is very pretty. It sits on my patio and gets lots of TLC.

One of my passions is working in the back yard. For some reason, I don't enjoy working in the front yard, only do what needs to be done there - like trimming hedges, mowing, and watering. Jeff, one of my grandsons, mows for me most of the time (for pay, of course) and I pay a young man that lives across the street from me to edge the front lawn each week. I'm just not ready to turn Jeff loose with a weed-eater because I have injured myself a couple times with one. But, I do love working in the back yard and find it to be very relaxing, even if the work is hard. It's my therapy - which I seem to need quite a lot of some days. So, lots of days I can be found in the back yard "digging in the dirt".

6 comments:

Debi said...

I was hoping that you'd post pictures of your gardening passions! That peppermint geranium is lovely.

Maybe you love the backyard most because it is your secret garden?

Unknown said...

Nelda,
You are so brave to start a blog. Nice picture of the geranium. I had some peppermint zinnias last year that was outstanding. Couldn't find any seed this year but when I do I will send you some seed for your back yard. I will be checking your blog occasional so post some more news.
Ed

Anonymous said...

Nelda...Must be something about being in the front yard. I also work in my back but never the front. I will be checking back.....

June

lebanesa said...

Lovely picture, thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of buying some peppermint geraniums for the pots on my deck. It gets hot there, especially in the afternoon. Do you think the geraniums will thrive under those conditions?

I'd love your honest opinion!

Deanna

nelda said...

My experience with geraniums is that they haven't done very well with a lot of direct sun. My patio faces southeast so only gets early morning sun. This year I planted a "confetti geranium" in a pot and it is doing well. I do have another in a flower bed that gets more direct sun, but not all day, and it is doing well also. I think they do better in partial sun. Good luck with yours.