Monday, September 15, 2008

Hummingbird Moth


Did I ever feel lucky earlier this summer when I saw a Hummingbird Moth feeding from the periwinkles in my back yard! I felt even luckier that I was able to come into the house, get my camera, go back out and actually find the moth again. They are called Hummingbird Moth because they fly like a hummingbird and feed like a hummingbird, and look pretty much like one, only smaller. This summer is the first time I have seen these moths in West Texas. I have seen them in Western Colorado around the cabin we used to stay in while vacationing there.

I have since learned (from reading a dear friend's blog - yes, Debi - you) that their real name is Sphinx Moth, although I kinda of like the name "Hummingbird" Moth, and will probably continue to call them that. It's good to know the real name, though; now if I can only remember it!

2 comments:

Debi said...

Ha! I was just about to write on my blog that you should post your picture anyway. And lo and behold what did I see here?

The way yours is holding him/herself looks even more hummingbird-like. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

In East Texas, moon flowers (from vines in the morning glory family that make huge white, fragrant blooms at night)AND blooms from the4 o'clock plants are real attractive to these beautiful moths that come out at dusk to dine on their nectar. It's magical!